Abstract/Pitch
Pitch:
I often catch myself thinking about how technological advancements are affecting our society, but I am always conflicted to if it is helping or hurting it. It is connecting the entire world, increasing economies and trade, and giving people voices, who usually do not have one, that they use to share their opinions with anyone who will look or listen, and those are just some of the positives. On the contrary, even though there is an increase in digital connections, it is causing humans to become desensitized, decreasing face to face communication and compassion, and exposing our children to change whatever they want about themselves, whatever they can find on the internet, and allowing them to participate in the fake reality of social media. I would like to pose a pitch that allows to show some virtues and shortcomings of the technological advancements, such as communication, social media, and journalism, our society has generated.
It is no surprise that the majority of people support digital connections, and I am one with the majority, but I feel that most do not know about the darker side that comes with these advancements. There is the upside and downside of connecting, where it can allow loved ones to make contact with each other if they have not seen each other in a long time, while it is also decreasing the impact of face to face communication in relationships. There are pros and cons of journalism with technology, where it can stories can be shared that are very important to a cause that will not necessarily be put on the news because of prejudices or perceived value, while the other side is that there are a lot of fake news accounts and stories that are being put out into society. There are benefits and pitfalls of having social media, such as giving people a voice who do not usually have one, and giving them a medium to share and create amazing things, but is also having a negative effect on the children in our society.
As part of the first generation to have these things and be affected by it later in my younger years, I feel that it is my obligation to point out the good so it can be increased, but also call out the setbacks so they do not get worse. If you approve of this pitch, I will compare the aspects of each point, and summarize a conclusion that will hopefully be an overall benefit to the matter of technology affecting our society.
How I sent it out:
I decided to tweet my pitch as a picture on twitter. If it were going to get any feedback or recognition, I feel like that would the the place to do it. I also feel that it is a good medium that a lot of people would see it and would not mind reading it.

Comments
Post a Comment