Baron started his article off with the idea that the computer is going to change literacy and writing, for better or for worse. This comes with going from the innovation of the typewriter, and then going all the way to the invention of the computer and the "world wide web". Baron also admits his positivism and reliance on computers, and how it has changed his own writing for the past 15 years. "I readily admit my dependence on the new technology of writing. Once, called away to a meeting whose substance did not command my unalloyed attention, I began drafting on my conference pad a memo I needed to get out to my staff by lunchtime. I found that I had become so used to composing virtual prose at the keyboard I could no longer draft anything coherent directly onto a piece of paper. It wasn’t so much that I couldn’t think of the words, but the physical effort of handwriting, crossing out, revising, cutting and pasting (which I couldn’t very well do at a meeting without giving away my inattention), in short, the writing practices I had been engaged in regularly since the age of four, now seemed to overwhelm and constrict me, and I longed for the flexibility of digitized text." (Baron,1). He speaks about how he does not have to use paper, and did not have to participate in his own revisions. Baron also states how technology is not just admitted into literary society; it is tried, tested, and slowly conformed into peoples lifestyles. It gets adapted by smaller groups, and then once proven trustworthy, it is assimilated into our culture.
Baron then brings up the topic of humanists and their rejection of technology. Even though they slightly use it, it is not something they go overboard with. Thoreau was against most advancements, such as the telegraph, but he was one humanist who made pencils, not only for his personal use, but he did think it was an advancement that once invented, it could not be lived without. The pencil was not the only advancement in communication/ writing. There was also the telegraph, telephone, and then the modern day computer "As the old technologies become automatic and invisible, we find ourselves more concerned with fighting or embracing what’s new. Ten years ago math teachers worried that if students were allowed to use calculators, they wouldn’t learn their arithmetic tables. Regardless of the value parents and teachers still place on knowing math facts, calculators are now indispensable in math class. When we began to use computers in university writing classes, instructors didn’t tell students about the spell-check programs on their word processors, fearing the students would forget how to spell." (Baron,11) . He concludes with stating that even though Thoreau was against most advancements, if it came down to the only way he could complete his writing, he would also be using a computer.
I think that Baron was successful in what he was trying to convey. He made it very clear that the advancements of the computer did change the way literacy works, but also no more than the innovations of the pencil, telephone, and the telegraph. He touched on the idea that even though computers were somewhat untrustworthy, they eventually contributed to a second cognitive revolution, the first being with the printing press. Without the computer, where would we be in the processing of paperwork, submitting assignments and work in possible bulk, and also communication that is received in a literal nanosecond. I think the thing I found the most interesting was the fact that at first, handwriting was considered a crazy idea, and at first, did not even have a creative notion.
Hi Kelly!
ReplyDeleteI really enjoyed reading your analysis on source 3, I found that source really interesting in how people were "urged" to use social media in order to gain awareness for a certain cause. I actually had a source similar that social media can be used as a tool to bring rise to many things going on in the world that people care about and can make others care as well. Nice work!! :)
Katherine Clark
Hey Kelly! I thought your portfolio was very well written and interesting too read. The way you wrote about the articles and analyzed it draws the reader in to reading it, especially with how relevant it is to today's generation.
ReplyDelete